The Optimism of Youth

Welcome to our blog. Here we will document the work we are doing on compiling our book "The Optimism of Youth" based on Millennium Development Goal No 2 - Universal Primary Education by 2015. We are being supported in this project by Self Help Africa

Do you have a reflection on your primary school days, a poem to share, perhaps a photograph from those days? Our aim is to highlight the importance of primary education and why MDG No 2 is such a vital goal.

All contributions are welcome and can be sent to towards2015@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sarah's grandparents recall school

Sarah Mc Evoy spoke with her grandparents, Paddy and Mary Smith, for our book project. Here is what they told her.

Mary says, "When I went to primary school, we were educated by nuns. We had no uniform, and so, we wore whatever clothes we had at home. There were very few teachers in my school. The entire school was taught by 3 nuns. Everyone was a very good student because we loved school and loved learning. In primary school I made many friends that are still good friends today, many years later. At break, we would play marbles and skipping. Because I had my primary education, I was able to go on and do my Intermediate exam. In my opinion primary school were some of the best years of my life. I learned social skills and I made many friends. Without primary education I would be lost. I would not be able to read or write and this would really hold me back today."

Paddy told Sarah, "We were educated by the local laity. We wore our own clothes as nobody could afford a uniform. There was little formal education in my primary school. When I was 10, I left school to work on the family farm. There was only 1 teacher in my school. He taught all the students from 1st to 6th class.

Everyday, each person in the school had to bring a sod of turf for the fire. This was the only source of heat in the school. I had to walk 4 miles to and from school every day, no matter what the weather was like. Although I left school when I was 10, I still learned many valuable things like how to read and write, how to communicate with people, how to work as part of a team and how to make friends. I think that primary school is an experience that nobody ever forgets and it is really important in the rest of your life."

Thanks to Paddy and Mary for sharing those memories with Sarah and with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment