The Optimism of Youth

Welcome to our blog. Here we will document the work we are doing on compiling our book "The Optimism of Youth" based on Millennium Development Goal No 2 - Universal Primary Education by 2015. We are being supported in this project by Self Help Africa

Do you have a reflection on your primary school days, a poem to share, perhaps a photograph from those days? Our aim is to highlight the importance of primary education and why MDG No 2 is such a vital goal.

All contributions are welcome and can be sent to towards2015@gmail.com

Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoughts from Canada

Sinéad Keogh sent us this from her auntie and uncle who are now living in Canada.

Sinéad's auntie Julie started elementary school at the Model School, Inchicore, in 1943, aged 5. Julie wasn't always a big fan of school, saying that “ it didn't come easy to her but it was something we all had to do, in hindsight it was a wonderful opportunity that most of the world at that time did not have.”

Julie’s formal education ended when she was 14 as she did not have the choice to go on further. When Julie moved to Canada she took the education opportunities offered by her company and is now retired on good benefits. Julie says “I also have a good pension and benefits so yes I would say my basic education in grade school was invaluable in helping me achieve my goals."

Julie’s husband Joe remembers learning religious instruction at school along with learning to read and write the Irish and English language, basic Math, History and Geography.
Joe says “I must state here how important it was to learn how to read and write English because Ireland’s greatest export at that time was its people. Most went to Britain, U S A, Canada and Australia. I was one of the people who emigrated to Canada in 1965. I can honestly say from my experience, and I have met many from different countries that the vast majority did very well, myself included, Thank God.”

Julie and Joe White, Toronto, Canada

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Julie and Joe for sending us their thoughts from abroad.

    Mrs L

    ReplyDelete